Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.
This month’s forthcoming Feast for the Three Days of the Writing of the Book of the Law marks the 114th anniversary of the reception of Liber AL vel Legis: The Book of the Law and concludes the Thelemic Holy Season for this year, which began at the Vernal Equinox on 20 March.
The Book of the Law was received by Aleister Crowley, one chapter per day from the 8 to10 April 1904, between the hours of noon and 1:00 pm. As he sat at his desk in Cairo, the voice of Aiwass, the messenger of Horus, came from over his left shoulder.
The first chapter is from Nuit, the Egyptian goddess of the night sky, called the Queen of Space. Crowley called her the:
“Lady of the Starry Heaven, who is also Matter in its deepest metaphysical sense, who is the infinite in whom all we live and move and have our being.”
The second is from Hadit, who refers to himself as the “complement of Nu,” his bride. As such, he is the infinitely condensed point, the centre of her infinite circumference:
“He is eternal energy, the Infinite Motion of Things, the central core of all being.”
The third is from Ra-Hoor-Khuit, “a god of War and of Vengeance”, also identified as Hoor-paar-kraat, the Crowned and Conquering Child:
“…we have Nuit, Space, Hadit, the point of view; these experience congress, and so produce Heru-Ra-Ha, who combines the ideas of Ra-Hoor-Khuit and Hoor-paar-Kraat.”
Liber AL vel Legis: The Book of the Law is the founding text of Thelema. In Ch. II, v. 38 it is declared: “A feast for the three days of the writing of the Book of the Law.” The days of the Book’s reception are here to be celebrated! It is a Thelemic custom to read each chapter on the day it was received, with a celebration at noon.
AMeTh LODGE JOURNAL III is at available now!
Members can purchase one copy each at a substantial discount on the full retail price.
This month we have the following events coming up at the Lodge. All dates in this bulletin are e.v. throughout:
- Friday 6th: Working Your Degree – III Degree
- Sunday 8th: Three Days for the Writing of The Book of the Law – Chapter 1
- Monday 9th: Three Days for the Writing of The Book of the Law – Chapter 2 (morning) & Thelemic Reading & Lucid Dreaming Groups (evening)
- Tuesday 10th: Three Days for the Writing of The Book of the Law – Chapter 3
- Friday 13th: Planetary Magick Group: Venus Working
- Saturday 14th: Man of Earth Initiations Meeting.
- Sunday 15th: Celebration of the Gnostic Mass.
- Tuesday 20th: Thelemic Workings
- Saturday 28th: Magick in Practice & Feast of Cattle Cross-Quarter Ritual.